Home Discuss Development Map Database

Attracting more food trucks

(Bob Specht) #1

Where are the best places for trucks to park currently? Would it be ideal to have a block dedicated to them somewhere?

Seems like you find a number scattered through Crossroads, and a couple right around Power & Light. Is the density there to support a mass quantity somewhere.

Would be interesting to see an area incorporated into BAP (Barney Allis Plaza) plans, especially for convention events.

(Michael Knabel) #2

i would think armour blvd would be a good place to experiment bringing food trucks, en masse, to.

(Bob Specht) #3

Thinking along the residential portion of Armour, east of Main St? Could be good for evening operations.

Vibrant food truck districts I’ve been to have largely been in traditionally office-oriented areas, high walkability.

(Michael Knabel) #4

yep. that’s where I was thinking. i agree that the best areas for food trucks are typically dense office areas or special occasion areas. i work near hospital hill and am pleased with the turnout of both food trucks and patrons. similarly happy during first weekends in the bottoms. when i worked in the government district off of 13th street, i enjoyed the random few days when food trucks would station outside the Inter-State Building. would always remind me how a decent lunch-oriented restaurant might do well in that spot.

my thoughts for Armour Blvd was based off of pure experimentation. good for evenings as it’s a fairly populated residential area. Armour is also a really wide street with street traffic that never, anecdotally (via walking) seems to be that bad. it’s also, as far as food/retail options go, kind of a desert, with martini corner being the nearest area for better-than-burger-king eats. all of this, i’m sure you know. my other thought was…not excellent delivery options in the city. if i were running a food truck i might think about how i could do hospital hill for lunch, armour for dinner, and westport/crossroads/pnl for late night. but i don’t operate a food truck, and there is probably a good reason for that!