Home Discuss Development Map Database

A new entertainment district?

(peter agnello) #1

Think about a light up area were a ton of small parking spaces are now, as an area with class a office space, shops, hotels, underground parking, and restraunts.Or even create an international district with food from all over the globe, and shops we could even create a Paris feel with all of the boulvards!

(Bob Specht) #2

Bit confused. Would this be on the KS or MO side? Is there a need for a new district? Something like this would take a very large investment; hard to build districts just to build them.

(peter agnello) #3

MIssouri, and I was thinking something like Southwest Boulvard, but into more shops and fill in some of those parking spaces f’ind small businesses

I wouldn’t be a proponent of this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a development similar to West Glen Town Center in West Des Moines would be duplicated in Johnson County as a mixed use Live/Work/Play area with quite a few bars and clubs.

(Bob Specht) #5

Yeah, wouldn’t say there’s strong need for another district on the Missouri side currently. Could see JoCo wanting to keep more of the young professional night life $$$ on their side.

Maybe something in the new 95th & Metcalf development, would fit even better into this counterproposal.

That location would be my first thought. Could be a catalyst for smart urban development in Overland Park and Johnson County, or at least along that corridor.

(David M) #7

Who cares about Johnson County? We need to continue to make our urban core the prime destination, like most major cities. Suburbs are so 1950’s, this is a new era, lets build on it!

I agree with you, Dave. I’m 100% on team Downtown (for any city, actually)… We’re just acknowledging that there are still a lot of political forces in Johnson County who we could see embarking on this type of entertainment district down that direction.

(David M) #9

Yeah sorry for the outburst Travis, but im just so passionate about Kansas City actually living up to its potential on not being a nice city but a GREAT city…to ascend to the next level like a Denver, Charlotte, Minneapolis etc…we have that capability, but the Kansas Side continues to hinder our efforts over here in the Missouri side, specifically downtown

I definitely agree. Having worked in planning and with developers, I understand that their financing and their goals are never in line with the greater good of a metropolitan area, or have long-term viability in mind. Its unfortunate, but short term profits are far too often the primary goal in development.

(Kyle Mc Cullough) #11

they need some kind of effort to bring a lot of bars and restaurants to an area like the garment district where they could utilize old buildings and exist in the urban core. it would bring people to a different part of downtown, be along the streetcar route, and maybe you wouldn’t be paying outrageous sales taxes like you would a few blocks south. not to mention theres plenty of parking.

Garment District in KC could resemble Washington Ave in St Louis. Very cool area.

(Bob Specht) #13

Plenty of ‘For Lease’ signs in Garment District currently. Could also see something like that working down in West Bottoms, if we can have a significant attraction down there.

(Kyle Mc Cullough) #14

i thought the same thing. it would work well with the new lofts “going up” down there. imagine if we could find a tennant for kemper. even if it was a series of second rate live music performances, that whole area would be like a big old p&l. apartments, performance arena, restaurants and bars.

(Kyle Mc Cullough) #15

this might need its own thread, but whats the deal with the buildings along 9th? i think its 9th, maybe 8th. theres the building across from 1006 grand thats completely dark at night and the nearby buildings at the corner of grand and 8th. i thought apartments were at a premium?

(Liam) #16

Why not connect Crossroads an 18th and vine?